In 1877 the Tsuut’ina Nation, along with other the other First Nations of waht would become southern Alberta, negotiated Treaty 7 with representatives of the Queen (the Federal Government). As part of the agreement to share the land with new settlers, the Treaty set aside a reserve for the Tsuut’ina adjacent to the Siksika Nation reserve, near what is now Gleicen Alberta.
Dissatisfaction with the initial reserve’s proximity to another Nation led to further negotiations between the Tsuut’ina and the Government. In 1882, Nation scouts were sent out to search for more suitable land within their traditional territory, eventually choosing land around the Fish Creek (known as Wolf Creek by the Nation) as their new home. The site was surveyed, and in 1883 a supplementary Treaty was made, reserving 69,000 acres for the Tsuut’ina Nation. The Nation’s oral history recounts that the original negotiations included an additional half-township, east of the current reserve boundary all the way to the Macleod trail and encompassing most of what is now Southwest Calgary, but it was not included in the written Treaty.
The settlement of Calgary, established around Fort Calgary, was first incorporated as a town in 1884, and in 1894 it became a city.
The land where Lakeview was built had long been a ranch, and was still rural when it was annexed to the City of Calgary in 1956. In 1959 the City approved the basic form of the subdivision (then called the Glenmore Subdivision), and by 1960 the first houses were being built.
Although Lakeview is currently neighbours with the Tsuut’ina Nation, that wasn’t always the case. In 1915, the Canadian Military appropriated, without the Nation’s consent, 940 acres of reserve lands west of 37th street to establish a training camp. This land was eventually purchased outright in 1952, eight years before Lakeview was established. By the time the permanent barracks was built in 1956, the land had been annexed by the City, and was located within the city-limits.
When construction began in Lakeview, the Military base and the Married Officers Quarters housing area on 37th street were well established. The Military continued to train on the land west of Lakeview until the early 1990s when the federal government, facing a lawsuit for illegally confiscating the land decades earlier, officially returned it to the Tsuut’ina. The Military continued to lease the land until around 1998, when Canadian Forces Base Calgary was closed and the land was vacated.
After 83 years, the land was back in the hands of the Nation, and Lakeview were neighbours of the Tsuut’ina Nation for the first time.